Legendary Saariselkä is the northernmost travel destination in the European Union and boasts a variety of services. Here the stunning fell landscapes are a dominant feature and the setting for your adventure.
The unique northern countryside, national parks, lake areas, rivers and highland fells offer a wealth of opportunities for experiences. In the villages in the area, the Sami culture is still very much in evidence in everyday life. This is for many people the genuine Lapland.
Destination advantages and best practises:
- Good selection of big hotels and availability is not as scarce as in many other destinations.
- Discover Sámi culture
- Programs based on Lappish legends, like gold panning, reindeer herding, etc.
Groups up to 1000 persons
Ideal for groups 10 – 150 persons (best selection of venues and activities)
Hotels Click to openClick to close
- Santa’s Hotel Tunturi is the biggest hotel in Lapland offering great facilities for meetings and congresses. Despite the size it has still managed to keep cosiness about it, because the hotel is divided in several buildings. Hotel has accommodation with 260 rooms and apartment suites.
- Holiday Club Saariselkä is the northernmost spa hotel and holiday home resort in Europe. The accommodation options include spacious rooms in the hotel side and cosy holiday houses nearby. Very nice spa area for relaxation, good meeting facilities.
- Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna provides hotel rooms and apartments well located in the centre of Saariselkä. The restaurant is known for its Lappish game dishes and exotic catches from the Arctic Ocean.
Top activities Click to openClick to close
- We visit a reindeer farm, which is run by a Sámi family, and familiarize with the traditions of reindeer herding. A longer reindeer ride will bring us into the wilderness and back to the farm for traditional lunch. Before leaving the farm we have a race on Yamaha Bravo old-timer snowmobiles. These snowmobiles changed the life of the reindeer herders – from nomadic to permanent living.
- Snow Fun Day is a combination of activities for large groups (from 100 persons). The group is divided into smaller groups / teams the participants get to enjoy various activities: snowmobiling, huskies, snowshoeing, snow sculpting, ice fishing, etc. Duration and the amount of activities depend of the group size and time available.
- Visit Siida Museum the centre of Sámi culture and the diverse nature of Northern Lapland. The museum provides changing exhibitions on culture, art and nature throughout the year.
- Northern Lights flights can be organised for smaller groups. The aircraft takes 5 persons at a time and one flight is 30 minutes. We fly above the lowest clouds and have a good possibility to see the magical lights.
Dinner and gala venues Click to openClick to close
- Restaurant Huippu on top of Kaunispää fell, 437 meters above sea level. It is a cosy and magnificent dinner venue on top of Saariselkä area, where on the bright evenings you will be able to see amazing starry sky or Northern Lights. Main restaurant area seats 150 guests, there is also a private space in the wooden cabinet called “Kota” for 50 people. Exceptional gourmet kitchen.
- Joiku-Kota Log-Teppe is a small wooden teepee shaped Kota-hut for 25 persons, run by the Sámi reindeer herder family. It is a truly unique and very local experience, as they family will be dressed in a traditional way, they will tell stories about their culture and life and also sing “joiku”. Joiku is a specific way on singing from throat, which easily gives you goose bumps while listening.
- Tankavaara Gold Village is a museum, restaurant, accommodation and activity venue dedicated to gold panning in Lapland. The restaurant is decorated in gold prospector style and gold panning can be offered during dinner.
- Restaurant Lutto in Santa’s Hotel Tunturi is a versatile venue where anything from fine dining to a pub evening is possible. The rustic décor reminds of a Lappish cottage and when the tables are set with white tablecloths and stunning table setting, the contrast of rustic and elegance strikes the eye. The restaurant seats max 200 persons.