Taste of traditional Lappish life – Reindeer Safari and Ice Fishing
Photo: Michael Mead
For decades, both played an important role in everyday life in Lapland. Still today, reindeer herding brings living to many locals and ice fishing remains amongst the popular leisure time activities - on this combination tour, you’ll get to try them both!
Under the guidance of real reindeer herders, you will learn about this traditional livelihood and experience a sleigh ride of 2.5 km (approximately 30-40 min).
Later, it’s time to head out on the frozen lake and try your luck at luring the fish. You’ll learn how to drill a hole in the ice and the correct ice fishing techniques.
Please note: Transfer to the reindeer farm takes approximately 25 minutes one way. Transfer from the Arctic Circle Wilderness Resort and Apukka Resort available from 1.12.2022 onwards with an extra fee (25 € per person), Rovaniemi city center and Santa Claus Village pick-up included in the rate. Time and place for the meeting will be confirmed upon the reservation.
Please note: the thermal clothing for this tour is not included. If you need thermal clothing rental please contact us for further information.
Additional information for individual travellers
Find our full terms and conditions including cancellation policy here.
All tours listed are for a minimum of 2 persons paying a full (adult) price, unless mentioned otherwise.
- The prices include all described activities, services and equipment.
- Some of the products include in winter season a thermal overall, boots, gloves and woolen socks, in snowmobile safaris also helmet and balaclava. This is mentioned in product info.
- Please note: in winter time you always need to have winter outfit for all programs.
- Guidance is in English, other languages are available on request basis with a possible supplement of 39 € per hour through Monday to Saturday and 55 € per hour on Sundays or bank holidays.
- The driver of a snowmobile has to be at least 18 years old and hold a valid driving license – A1, T, A or B category (please check that it is valid in Finland). For all snowmobile tours we ask you to take your driving license with you. Also a copy or photo is suitable.
- Please note that it is strictly prohibited to drive a snowmobile under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The starting point for the safari is stated in the booking confirmation.
- The snowmobile driver is held liable for any damages caused to the snowmobile. The driver is held liable for a flat rate of 900 € per person in case of an accident. For our shorter snowmobile tours it is possible for the driver to purchase an insurance from Wild Nordic for 15 € per person (subject to change as advised by Wild Nordic), which reduces the maximum liability to 150 € per person.
NORTHERN LIGHTS TOURS:
- Northern lights are a natural occurrence and we are unable to guarantee activity, vibrancy or the colour on the evening of the tour.
- Northern lights flight: you need to bring with you your passport and voucher to present, if requested, to your guide.
HIKING BASED ACTIVITIES:
- For hiking based activities a reasonable level of fitness is recommended.
- All safaris start and end at Wild Nordic Safari Center office (Joulupukintie 1) located next to Santa Claus Village. The starting point for the safari is stated in the booking confirmation.
- Most of the tours include a transfer from the main accommodations in the central area of Rovaniemi. Customers shall wait for their pick-up at the given meeting time and point notified by Wild Nordic. All the pick-up times are subject to a 15-minute difference depending on the other participants joining the tours.
- For the tours ending at the Wild Nordic Safari Center, located next to the Santa Claus Village, you can always skip the return transfer if you wish to visit Santa Claus.
- All safaris start and end at in the centre of Levi at the address Myllyjoentie 2. The starting point for the safari is stated in the booking confirmation.
If you have additional questions, please check our FAQ page – it gives a quick overview about the questions we are asked most frequently. If you can’t find your answer there, feel free to contact us!
The operator reserves the right to make alterations to the programs, price, duration or form of transportation without prior warning. This is also applied to changes in programs due to weather conditions.
Adults: 159€ per person
Children (4-14 yr) 115€ per person
1.12. – 31.3.
daily at 09:00
- Visit to the reindeer farm with a sleigh ride of approximately 2,5 km (duration of the ride 30 – 40 minutes). The sleigh fits 2 adults and 1 to 2 small children.
- Hot drinks and snacks while listening to the stories of the reindeer herder way of life
- An ice fishing experience
- Guidance is in English, other languages on request