The area is known for its nature and character, the fells, the gorges, rivers and forests of narrow spruce trees, which are packed with snow in the wintertime. The winter is very snowy and lasts until mid-May. The closeness to Russia is found enchanting by many guests and adds spices to the history, food culture and stories.
Ruka is the fell and the ski resort of the area, one of the most popular in Finland. Here all winter activities are at the doorstep of your accommodation. Kuusamo is a typical northern Finnish town with strong roots in forestry and wood processing, reindeer herding and fishing. The traditional livelihoods are clearly reflected in the lifestyle of the locals.
Destination advantages and best practises:
- Very high-end services for smaller groups
- Unique wild food tastings and sauna programs
- Good capacity and availability
Groups up to 300 persons
Ideal for groups 10 – 100 persons (best selection of venues and activities)
Hotels Click to openClick to close
- Restel Rantasipi Rukahovi, located in the heart of the Ruka ski resort, has been one of the best-known and most respected ski hotels in Finland for decades, as well as the undisputed centre of night-life at Ruka. In 2014 and 2015 the hotel has been rewarded as Finland’s best Ski Hotel by World Travel Awards. The property has a wide variety of rooms. Cozy standard rooms are located in the original part of the hotel and spacious superior rooms in the hotel extension – a total of 180 rooms and 17 different-sized suites, with 553 beds in all. The hotel has two restaurant areas, a night-club and a pub as well as a conference center.
- Rukan Salonki is like a little village of grey log chalets overlooking Ruka fell. The high-standard chalets are all built in giant grey logs and all have fireplaces in natural stone. Services are easily at hand in the area, there is a restaurant, saunas and outdoor facilities. Rukan Salonki consist of 13 chalets in different styles, largest chalet has 12 beds and smallest 6 beds, in total just over 100 beds.
- Hotel Chalet Ruka Peak is a boutique hotel on a top position: on the top of Ruka fell. It goes without saying that all rooms and facilities boast of amazing views overlooking the pristine northern wilderness. Hotel Chalet Ruka Peak has 6 bedrooms and 2 suites and is best rented as a private hotel for a small and exclusive group. The hotel has a restaurant, meeting room and sauna world.
Activities Click to openClick to close
- Full day wilderness safari on snowmobiles. Depending on the driving abilities of the participants, we can test some freeride snowmobiling during the day. Our goal is to reach the Russian border and ride alongside the borderline. We will have lunch at the cozy Border-Inn before returning back to the hotel.
- Husky safari to Iisakki Village, which is a replica of a village, which Finland lost in the war to Russia. At Iisakki Village a myriad of activities awaits us: tandem-skiing, tobogganing, tug-o-war, wilderness skills, etc. Duration and the amount of activities depend of the group size and time available. Lunch is enjoyed at the village before we return back with our furry friends.
- Everyman’s rally program is just what it sounds like: fun for everyone! At the driving center we will have access to ice-karts, rally cars and old Toyota Starlets, which have been “rallified”. The driving program can be designed depending on the size of the group and time available.
- Sauna tour is the perfect introduction to the core of Finnishness – the sauna. During the tour we try out different saunas, smoke sauna, herb sauna, ice-sauna and even a sauna bus! During the day you are well looked after in terms of refreshments and pampering. Sauna tour is tailored according to the needs, size and time available of the group.
Dinner and gala venues Click to openClick to close
- Restaurant Kontioluola is a half-underground venue where a magical and mystical evening can be organized for up to 300 persons. The venue is versatile and equipped with state-of-the-art sound system, dance floor, karaoke and a bar, of course. Food can be served from buffet or to the tables. As the venue is quite large, for smaller groups entertainment can be fitted to the evening program.
- Fire and ice -outdoors dinner with program with everyone dressed in the winter overalls, the mood will be relaxed and unhurried for sure. The evening kicks off with a pyrotechnic show with e.g. company logo appearing in flames! Tonight we enjoy a laid-back evening with dining and drinking inside Restaurant Kultala and outside in a Wilderness Disco. There is also the cosy kota-lounge to hang out in for a quiet moment around a campfire. Let’s hope for the Northern Lights to be active tonight, as we are under the bare northern sky! This evening program is suited for 150-300 persons.
- Studio Restaurant Tundra offers and aesthetic experiences as well as culinary pleasure. The charming studio is located in an old, refurbished barn and hosts both the ceramics studio as well as the kitchen and dining area of Chef Jarmo Pitkänen. A meal full of northern aromas, at a table set with the design ware of Tundra Ceramics Studio, is a memory that lasts a lifetime.